On 6 March 1912, Sirs Alphonse Bellamy and Eugène Loubignac, both of whom were farriers, filed the articles of association for a workers’ production co-operative called L’Union des Maréchaux with the clerk’s office at the town hall of the 14th Arrondissement of Paris.
The company’s head office was located at 18 Rue Niepce in the 14th Arrondissement of Paris XIV and our two confederates, who were soon joined by other fellow-workmen, struck the first hammer blows a stone’s throw from the Eiffel Tower.
At that time, the company had no fewer than 6 farrieries in Paris.
The 1920s witnessed the decline of horse-related business, at the same time as the ramping up of industrial forge activity.
The company was now called ‘L’Union des Maréchaux et Forgerons’ and was established at Ivry. Business was based on 150 kg, 250 kg and, subsequently, 500 kg forge hammers.
In the late 1960s, a brand new factory was established at Méréville (Essonne), in the middle of open fields!
From that period onwards, time flew faster, with a succession of innovations and expansions.
L’UNION DES FORGERONS is the result of the courage and perseverance of its founders.